another water/paper trick and fixing the sink

I tapped the flat roof back out, I have to fix the sink.

I still had the piece I cut out the first time, so glued it back in.  I then drilled a hole for the new sink, a bit smaller and in the right place.


That's a step bit, in case you didn't know.


And...all cleaned up.   See that shiny bit at the bottom?  That's the faucet, I tested to be sure the sink hole was large enough, dropped it, then had to fish it out with a pair of tweezers.


I'm going to be forever dropping stuff down there if I don't stopper the hole.  I couldn't reach in from the bottom, so I cut a circle a bit larger from black paper, threaded a piece of sewing thread through it, put quick tack glue along the edges, bent it enough to fit it sideways down through the hole, then used the thread to pull it up into place, and held it until the glue sufficiently set. Once the glue was completely dry I pulled the thread out, then sealed the whole shebang with gel medium.


To cover the old sink hole I'm going to use another paper and water trick to create a patch.

I cut a square larger than needed from the paper my countertop is covered in.  I wet the edge of the back side, and using my fingernail, scraped away a layer of paper, to thin the edges out.


I did that around all four sides.  The paper is very fibrous, so it didn't work quite as well as I wished it would have.  This is the front of the patch, ready to glue on the countertop.


Let me show you this technique using card stock.

Wet the edge, and use your fingertip to scrub away some of the paper.


Do that around all four sides, then go around again, but only half as far in as you did the first time, to thin the outer edge more.  Also pull at the very edge with your fingernail to tear the edge so that it's not straight.


This is the front side of the completed patch.  It has to dry before it's glued on.   I sped things along with my hair dryer.


I glued the patch on the same cardstock, next to a square, cut, patch.

DSCN5132 (3)

They are both still noticeable, but then, when I do this....


Where'd it go?!?

Obviously, this isn't a technique you'd use patching wallpaper in your living room, but it has appropriate moments.  When I built the mill I covered the exterior in a mottled, yellow, paper, to simulate stucco, and used this technique on the edges so that joins wouldn't be noticeable, but would look like cracks.  You can see it best in this picture.  I used colored pencil to enhance the join on the left side, it's in its natural state on the right.

Moulin paper

So, how did the patch work out on my countertop?


Not bad.  I put the thinner edge at the front, the thicker at the back.  Once I put stuff on the counter you won't even see it.

I still don't like the sink hole, now it's too far back.  I may putter with it some more.


all the things I screwed up today

I screwed up the coffee bar.  First, I glued the paper backsplash to the wall crooked; thankfully that's easily fixable, I can glue another piece over it.  Then I cut the hole for the sink without dry fitting the countertop on the cupboards, so cut it too far forward.  I decided this wasn't too big a deal, since the coffee bar won't be seen head on, so put a black piece of paper on the bottom on the counter instead of a bowl for a proper sink.  I glued the countertop in place, but was so distracted by the sink hole that I didn't notice, until after the glue dried, that I don't like the sink where it is, that it would look better over the other cupboard door.  That's fixable too, maybe, if I haven't screwed up the chance (read on).


You noticed the crooked wall.  As I said, read on.

I papered the ceiling of the main room.  That was difficult, because the roll of wallpaper didn't want to lie flat.  I managed it okay, it's not perfect, but it's only imperfect in a couple of spots that will be noticeable only to myself.


Then I attempted to slide the flat roof piece into place, which I've done successfully since I glued the top wall piece into place, but not in the last few weeks.  I've kept trying it, daily, thinking it may be humidity, but finally accepted it wasn't going to work.  I spent over an hour sanding it thinner, trying to fit it, sanding, fitting, sanding, fitting, sanding, fitting, sanding fitting...


When it was almost there I got frustrated and whacked it into place with a mallet.


This impatience cost me, of course. I screwed up the wallpaper and knocked a wall askew.




Now I have to decide if I want to whack the flat roof back out again, so I can fit my drill in to boar a new sink hole, or if I should leave well enough alone, live with the sink as it is, and not risk damaging things further.

I should have listened to Ester this morning when she asked me not to leave the recliner.





how I made the torn edge pages for the journal

First I laid out a grid of same size pages on a pieces of paper, but instead of using a pen or pencil I used a tool to score the lines.  I don't want ink or graphite on the edges of the pages, and scoring helps fold the pages later.


Then, using a new (clean) paintbrush, I brushed water onto the lines I wanted to tear.


Let the water soak through, then slowly pull the two sides away from each other.


That, my friends, is how you tear paper where you want it to be torn; weaken it with water.  You don't need to score first for the water to work, I was just marking my lines. This technique works fantastically freehand, or to tear on a curvy line.  Thicker paper, like cardstock, requires multiple passes with your brush, keep checking the back side until the line has soaked through.  Thin water lines are precise, thick water lines yield jagged tears.  If you want to stain the edges a bit, use tea or coffee instead of water.  Play with it, and have fun.